Tag Archives: Web-Site

Untranslatable?

This week I encountered this website/blog: untrans.eu

I was quite aware of this specific issue, before finding this site. If you talk “other” languages, you will automatically have that problem at times, there are certain terms or sayings that you just cannot translate, meaning will get lost. But its interesting to see that a professional translator, fluent in three languages, has this problem also, and even finds it interesting enough to dedicate a blog to this topic.

Just another small piece in the puzzle that makes me believe that computer translations will never really work perfectly. 🙂

New design and winter

In the last 2 days I already tested the Software Update on my laptop and while doing that I discovered the new 2014 design and I liked it.

Today I migrated my live website and used the new design. While updating, I also changed the color scheme to winter blue, like I always do in December.

The winter-picture in the “headline” was taken in April 2004. We (my mother, sister and I) were in Nesselwang, Allgäu, on vacation at that time. The picture shows “Reichenbach”, a vacation estate where we had booked a house. We arrived on a Friday and in the week before (in April!) it had snowed almost one fresh meter of snow!

winter.jpg

Migrating the multi-languange plugin

In the last 2 days I did some maintenance work on my Web-site (as I’m on vacation 😉 ). About 2 years ago, when I started using WordPress, after an evaluation phase, I started to use qtranslate as WP-Plugin. It did exactly what I wanted, lightweight, and well supported, making it easy to blog in multiple languages.

About 6 months later the author obviously got a new job and had no time anymore for the plugin maintenance. Soon after the problems started, and it became a pain. With WP 3.6 it will stop working altogether… so I had to migrate.

So I had to go back and evaluate plugins and decided for WPML. I bought the “CMS” Version and since yesterday work on the migration of the live-site. Sunday/Monday I did several test migrations on my laptop to verify what needs to be done.

Conclusion: it works, but the migration causes a lot of manual cleanup work.

Current status: the “pages” should all be OK (meaning status as before), but the blog-entries are not yet “clean”. Some of the German entries contain all 3 languages beneath each other, but the entries do not show up at all in their respective translated versions. This needs to be cleaned manually.

If I have time and feel like it after finishing the work, I may write a more complete report, how the migration worked step by step.