I waited until the first seasons snow appears … which happened yesterday, so I changed the site design to winter-mode today 🙂
In the last 2 days I already tested the Software Update on my laptop and while doing that I discovered the new 2014 design and I liked it.
Today I migrated my live website and used the new design. While updating, I also changed the color scheme to winter blue, like I always do in December.
The winter-picture in the “headline” was taken in April 2004. We (my mother, sister and I) were in Nesselwang, Allgäu, on vacation at that time. The picture shows “Reichenbach”, a vacation estate where we had booked a house. We arrived on a Friday and in the week before (in April!) it had snowed almost one fresh meter of snow!
During the bike tours last weekend the nice autumn colors in the trees, with yellow, brown and red, already became visible. I wanted to change the style of my web-site, but forgot. Today there is totally gray rain weather, so there is time for “admin stuff” ;-(
In the last 2 days I did some maintenance work on my Web-site (as I’m on vacation 😉 ). About 2 years ago, when I started using WordPress, after an evaluation phase, I started to use qtranslate as WP-Plugin. It did exactly what I wanted, lightweight, and well supported, making it easy to blog in multiple languages.
About 6 months later the author obviously got a new job and had no time anymore for the plugin maintenance. Soon after the problems started, and it became a pain. With WP 3.6 it will stop working altogether… so I had to migrate.
So I had to go back and evaluate plugins and decided for WPML. I bought the “CMS” Version and since yesterday work on the migration of the live-site. Sunday/Monday I did several test migrations on my laptop to verify what needs to be done.
Conclusion: it works, but the migration causes a lot of manual cleanup work.
Current status: the “pages” should all be OK (meaning status as before), but the blog-entries are not yet “clean”. Some of the German entries contain all 3 languages beneath each other, but the entries do not show up at all in their respective translated versions. This needs to be cleaned manually.
If I have time and feel like it after finishing the work, I may write a more complete report, how the migration worked step by step.
I’m a bit late, but today I changed the site colors to winter scheme…
… shortly after coming back from vacation, it suddenly became autumn. I do like the colour of the trees!
So I changed now for the first time to the Autumn colours of my WordPress Theme. How does it look?
Spring time … the nature slowly wakes up, in some places earlier, in some a bit later.
Now its time to change the Web-Site to spring colors… I hope my WordPress-Template works as designed……
Migrating the contents of the homepage to the new platform is almost complete. Almost all pages with “real” content are migrated and all photos imported into the photo galleries.
Today I start to migrate my Homepage to WordPress. For some time the old pages will be available under www.neugebauer.name/index.html, until all relevant content has been migrated. The old Homepage was developed completely from scratch, with knowledge and a basic editor. That was a hobby and a “aspirational goal” to be able to manage that myself. But hobbies change and the Web has developed so rapidly, that managing this by hand is no longer possible with a few hours here and there.